Monday, November 1, 2010

Who'd-a-thunk it?

I had to go pick up grain for the animals this afternoon. As long as I was out, I was going to get a lot so I would not have to go back again any time soon. (Yes, I even hate THIS kind of shopping.) A young woman came in right after me and was only there to pick up two bags of grain for her critters. The fellows loading my truck saw how disappointed she was when she figured how long a wait she would have, so one volunteered to get her stuff by hand while the others loaded my truck with the forklift. He asked her, "What do you need?" and she answered him. He went off to fetch her Sheep & Goat Mix.
I was standing about two feet away, so couldn't help overhearing. I asked, "So ... do you have sheep or goats?"
"Goats."
"Milking goats?"
"No. Fiber goats."
"Oh, so do you spin?"
She grinned from ear to ear, and said rather sheepishly (sorry -- couldn't resist), "A little. I work full time, so I've only been able to do a little bit so far, but I'm trying to learn."
-------------------------------------
Side Note to Dean:
Yes. I am "wordy"
everywhere I go.
------------------------------------
I mentioned to her that I raise sheep, tried spinning but find it annoying because little fibers always seem to be floating up by my nose, making it itchy. I backed up and leaned against the wall because I could see the guy coming out, carrying her grain on his shoulder. Just as I backed up, he plopped the heavy grain bags into the back of her vehicle. She was in the process of answering me (although HE did not know we had been chatting). She said, in a giggly little squeak of a voice, "Yeah ... little fibers are always floating up, EVERYwhere!" And she was gesturing with her hands to indicate the floating little fibers.
The guy looked at her askance, and said, "ohhhh-kaaay" and the look on his face made me snicker -- I could tell he thought she was a bit off tilt. She caught his glance and tried to explain by shreaking a single word: "Spinning!"
She left. He cocked his head in her direction and asked me, "Is she all there?" Oh ... I wish you could've seen the look on his face. Priceless!
I guess he didn't really understand what she said. He tweedled his fingers in the air, imitating her gestures, and asked, "What is she talking about ... all these pins and needles floating in the air?" I sort of wanted to just shrug my shoulders and leave it at that for my own amusement, but I explained what had transpired before he came out. It seemed like he remained confused, so I went on to say how the fibers were the sheep's wool, and spinning was the process of making yarn.
All of that led to a conversation with him about alpaca socks! Yeah, I know ... go figure! Seems he is a purveyor of alpaca socks, and a wealth of information about places to get alpaca locally. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

No comments:

Post a Comment