Friday, July 9, 2010

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o ...

Did you hear me yelling this morning from your house? Here's what happened -- I went to the barn to do chores this morning, and thought I was going to have an easy time of it because the cows didn't come down to the gate. The rule is, if they don't come down on time, they stay in the upper pasture all day. Often, that's their choice in the summer because they have plenty of water there, can go to the woods for shade, lots of grass, and a pond to take a dip in when they feel like it.

Heading back to the house and pondering what I'd do first after breakfast today, I glanced up to the garden. At first I thought there was a cow inside the garden fence. I'm paranoid about cows getting where they ought not, so dismissed it and went inside. Then, about two seconds later, I decided I was going to have another look. There was not a cow in the garden, there were ten of them! Nooooo-ooo-oo-o-o-o-o!

I about threw a fit and stepped in it. I rushed up to see what could be rescued from certain demolishment (is that a word? who cares ... it works). I opened the gate that leads to the pasture, called for assistance from my faithful friend Tuck (who was, as always, eager to help). I sent him around the perimeter to get behind the cows, I went to the open gate and called Stooge. She's pretty much the leader of the pack. Imagine my amazement when the cows all lined up, single file, and paraded straight out through the open gate! All that was lost besides the corn were a few pepper plants. A few bean plants got squashed. The mulch needed to be tidied where it had been kicked up, but other than that ... very little damage. Whew! What a relief.

I discovered that the corner post of the fence had been uprooted, allowing them all to prance right over the fence and into the garden. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why. Unless it has something to do with that aura thing again ...

I stayed in the garden until I was woozy from the heat. I figured it would be worth at least 6 pounds, according to the information given on the news about losing a quart of water an hour in this heat. Well ... either they are nuts, or my scale has joined forces with everything else in my life that works against me. I didn't seem to lose an ounce for all the sweat that poured out of me.

I spent the rest of the day finishing up a customer's quilt:
















This one belongs to Louise W, and is very pretty, don't-cha think? See those pink lilies behind the quilt in the photo? They just opened up this morning. A big yellow swallowtail butterfly just couldn't seem to get enough. They DO smell very sweet. I think he decided he'd better not attempt to fly home after such a binge. He seems to be sleeping it off on this nearby weigela.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I would have been SO upset. I flip out when I find evidence that another bunny has breached my security fence. I'm glad they didn't do too much damage. Pretty cool that they filed out for you like a class of schoolkids in single file.

    ReplyDelete