Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just another day in Paradise ...

The thermometer read 80 degrees in the shade at 6 a.m. yesterday. On the evening news, they said a person could lose as much as a quart of water per hour. What's that, now? A quart equals two pints. A pint's a pound the world around. So I could be losing two pounds per hour?!? I'm starting to have a whole new attitude about this heat wave here, folks!

With that astounding news in mind, I've been working faithfully every morning in the garden. Weeding is not a drudge, it's a weight-loss opportunity in this kind of heat. I'm on it!




















As you can tell by the photo above, I have a rather relaxed view of weeds in the garden. My usual approach is "I'll get to them sooner or later." When I weed, I haul the weeds in a bucket to the chicken coop.




















Weeds in, fertilizer out.




















I use the stuff cleaned out of the coop to build new planting beds, thusly: I dump it into a high-tech planting bed form (formerly used to frame glass for a window). I throw in whatever compostable goodies I have from the kitchen.
















Then I cover it with soil dug from between garden rows (only place I can get soil easily). Later, the trenches left from digging soil will be buried with old bedding cleaned from the pens in the barn. The old hay serves as mulch to keep the weeds at bay for the rest of the summer. At the end of the season, it will all be turned under to enrich the soil. Ah, yes ... the circle of life.




















There, that looks better. After all this work, I'm feeling skinnier already. Or else I'm just lightheaded from the heat. In any case, I head inside to do something entirely different. Here's yesterday afternoon's accomplishment:




















Can you see the flag quilted in the center? Maybe if you double-click on the photo to enlarge. Or not. Anyway, it's there, and looks pretty cool. This is Sandie B's wallhanging. I hope she likes it.

1 comment: