Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Frittering Day

I've done very little productive so far today ... been just sort of frittering the time away, doing a little of this, a little of that. I thought I'd clean out a bookcase in my office, but stumbled upon an album of antique post cards I'd forgotten I put there. I don't know whether it belonged to my grandmother or HER mother -- the cards seem to be mostly addressed to one or the other of them. Maybe GGM Lucy started it and then it was passed along to GM Jessie ... just not sure. None of my grandparents were alive by the time I was born, so I never got to know them. But there are some pretty cards and I enjoyed looking at them again.

For those of you familiar with the area, here's one sent from Sayre, PA in 1908:
(click on photo to enlarge it)














The caption at the top reads, "Lehigh Valley Railroad and Yard, Sayre, PA." I found this one particularly intriguing for this reason -- I have a recurring dream of a place and time long ago. In the dream, I am very young -- in fact, in my father's arms. And he is dashing across what seems to me to be an endless sea of railroad tracks, with trains coming and going. Every time I have that dream, I wake up all nervous. I've always wondered where that place could be, if it in fact is a real place and not just stuff of my dreams. Could this be the answer? I think maybe it is! My parents lived in this county when I was an infant, and moved away before I was two. We often returned to visit family in the area when I was a child at home. My own family moved here after we had all our children -- my parents laughingly called me a homing pigeon.

Many Happy Returns Of The (Frittering) Day!




















(another from 1908)

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Are you able to read the messages they wrote to each other?

    ReplyDelete