Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tea?

Excuse me ... but did I just witness a new spin on The Emperor's New Clothes, or what?!? Here's what I'm talking about:

I was feeling under the weather the other day, and because I hadn't the energy to do much else, I flicked on the TV. Not being a big fan, I flipped through the channels and happened upon what was supposed to be a sort of cooking show. The gal featured on the program travels about, taking cooking lessons in exotic places. The day's adventure has her in a village in Laos, and I expect to see them cooking with ingredients I'm not likely to find in my local supermarket, but it might prove interesting, so I settle on this show. Well, actually, I settle on the couch, but you know what I mean.

In her chatter, "Ruth" explains that in Laos, many people have had it rough, economically speaking, and therefore cook anything edible (and I'm guessing they use that term lightly). So, yep, they prepare things like banana leaves stuffed with some glop like rice and whatever weeds are around, and fry up some silk worms (yum!), etc. Of course, everything prepared has a local name like phung bot goo. But here's the thing ... on the menu for the day was poo tea.

Now, I thought they were going to pick some local herb, simmer it in hot water and declare it "simply delicious," as is the expected behavior. Nope. Ya' know those aforementioned silk worms? Well, it seems that they're used to produce silk for cottage industry weaving. In the process of raising the worms, a lot of poo is produced by the worm. And -- you guessed it! The poo is actually poop. Worm poop. And they used it to make tea. And "Ruth" drank it!

Now ... excuse me if my American attitude or lack of worldliness is showing, but I don't give a flying leap HOW poor you are, drinking poopy water is just nasty! How would poverty justify taking clean water, dropping in a handful of worm pooballs, and then drinking it?!? Why would you not just drink the water? Have it hot if you like! But leave the _ _ _ _ out, for crying out loud!

I couldn't help but wonder if it was like in the story of The Emperor's New Clothes -- a nasty "joke" on the obviously wealthy person? Did they resent that she had come to learn how the other half lives in Poverty Village? And was she, like the Emperor, fearful of appearing less adventurous, intellectual or something, should she refuse to drink sewage? Nasty, I tell you. Just plain nas-tee tea.

And now that I think about it, I don't recall that the native guy helped himself to a cup of the brew. Hmmmm ...

--------------

Enough about that. Here are a few pics from the recent Deb Tucker class --

A possible layout:












Not crazy about that? Well, then ... shuffle, shuffle ...

















What do you think about this one?













... more about the class next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment