Friday, September 9, 2011

Screw the cabbages!

No ... really! If you have a lot of cabbage in the garden and are getting way too much rain (like we are), give them a quarter-turn. It will keep them from cracking.
















Tuesday's Shopping Horror Story: I was in a DIY store, had a long-handled item in my cart and headed toward the check-out. A young-ish woman was near the end of the aisle I was in, and as I approached her, she backed up to the center of the aisle and dialed a call on her cell phone. When I got close, she didn't bother to move over a tad so I could pass, so I politely said, "Excuse me." Not pushy, not loud, not anything. I couldn't believe it when she spun around and huffed something very rude at me. I don't know what came over me, but I stopped dead in my tracks. Thought for a half-second, and then turned to her and said, "Is there a problem?"

She snapped back, "You DON'T have to knock me down!"

?!?What? I didn't even brush against her as I passed. I would have, at this point, liked to knock her down. This woman, who like so many others nowadays, could not make it through a stop in the store without making a cell phone call, was rude enough to block the whole aisle to do it, and barked at ME for politely trying to pass her. She was not such a large person that she needed all the space available -- she just had no concern for anybody but herself. Grrrrr. So I said I asked her to excuse me so I would NOT have to knock her down to get by. She snarled, "Do you MIND? I'm on the phone."

I had to leave. I wanted to shove her phone where the sun doesn't shine. Shopping just does NOT bring out the best in me. Then I had to go to five, yes FIVE different stores to find cat wormer. Even the pet store had none.

It was one of those days when I had a jillion errands to do, and many stores to stop at to get everything on my list. It was also one of those days when the cash registers and/or cashiers broke down just as I approached. If I were rich, I'd definitely hire someone to shop for me. I'd rather shovel manure any day than shop.

My last stop was the grocery store. There too, a woman was blocking the aisle. She did NOT have a cell phone in hand. As I approached, SHE said excuse me and moved so I could pass. Thankfully! My view of humanity somewhat restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment