Monday, July 16, 2012

They can’t be trusted …

Cantaloupes. Sometimes they taste terrible – like mould. Sometimes they taste like dirt. Sometimes they even manage to taste like nothing! I agree with Cosmo: we should be able to return them when they are such a disappointment. But then, every once in a while, one is as sweet and delicious as can be – so we take our chances and go back for more. Just had one like that. Mmmm …

Okay. So I’m not the most energetic person on Earth, and confess that I will only sweep the floor if it actually NEEDS it. Four cookie crumbs do not connote a housekeeping emergency in my book. The grands left for camp yesterday, so I thought it would be a good plan to blow through the place and give it a good sweep. I actually broke into a sweat! (And those who know me well know I don’t perspire much. I usually just get boiling hot, beet read and woozy in the heat.) I checked the NWS and found that we’re experiencing 97 percent humidity today. What?!? If there’s that much water in the air, why isn’t it raining??? This drought is getting serious. It did “rain” last night, but I’ve seen more water on the bathroom floor after the kids have a shower than what we got from our brief storm.

And here’s that ‘30s quilt top I grabbed for practically nothing recently:

I wish I had taken the “before” picture so you could see the difference since I washed it. I don’t usually like to wash an unquilted top because it will fray. But this thing was so nasty I felt I should use tongs to carry it to the laundry area. I soaked it for a day in peroxide and water. Then I tossed it into the machine with regular laundry detergent, and voilà! It looks good – didn’t even fray but a tad around the perimeter. I don’t know how I’ll quilt it yet, but it’s mine now and I’m going to have fun with it. Suggestion, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment