Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Squatter's Rights ...

... or, It Takes A Village.















This nervy lady is demanding Squatter's Rights in my hoop house. I use it to provide a warm, sunny place for my plantlings to grow until we have the right conditions for setting them in the garden. She must have been watching me, because she's decided it would be just the ticket for providing warmth and protection for HER nestlings. Just look at her scolding me! In my own territory!



















These, however, apparently feel it takes a village. That one on the far left is sitting on a nest of about 10 eggs. The rest spend much of their time hovering around her, awaiting the blessed event. Seems that could take a while, considering the fact that it takes about a month for a nest of goose eggs to hatch.

















And here's Joanne D in the studio. (Why are all my pictures so dark lately?) She finished up two quilts that day, and will be returning with more soon. I think she's on a mission to get all her tops out of storage and show the world what she can do, given some time and a sewing machine. And it's a fine thing she does, indeed! She has a good eye for color -- her quilts I've seen so far have all been very pretty. And as if that were not enough, she's also a gardener! Last time she was here, she shared a slew of beauties from her perennial beds. I am now the happy recipient of her generosity -- peonies, hyacinths, and more! Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment